The Midnight Watch

Holding on 'til the next shift.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

S'a hammerin'.

#76 2013-07-22 13:59:56

Althalus Khalorson

Re: Feature Requests

is there please please please a change log somewhere? you guys are doing a great job evolving the shard and I know its a lot of work but I think I need a reference point lol.  I came to the orc camp today and discovered i now need a trap removal kit which is fine but i had to run off and make one and then come back, do throwing daggers use the throwing skill or a different skill? I've noticed quite a few AoS weapons in the blacksmith menu, there's quite a bit going on and i just think it would be easier if folks knew what had changed/was new

#77 2013-07-22 14:10:01

Haap

Althalus Khalorson wrote:

is there please please please a change log somewhere? you guys are doing a great job evolving the shard and I know its a lot of work but I think I need a reference point lol.  I came to the orc camp today and discovered i now need a trap removal kit which is fine but i had to run off and make one and then come back, do throwing daggers use the throwing skill or a different skill? I've noticed quite a few AoS weapons in the blacksmith menu, there's quite a bit going on and i just think it would be easier if folks knew what had changed/was new

*Haap pressed "like" on this*

#78 2013-07-22 14:10:01

Egbert
S'a hammerin'.

Aye, sorry! I was maintaining a change log, but I've been a bit slow to update it recently. I'll bring it up to date and let you know. smile

#79 2013-07-22 14:54:58

Althalus Khalorson

can we have private sections to the forum btw? like an undead section maybe a criminal section etc so that these factions can organise a bit

#80 2013-07-22 15:07:18

Egbert
S'a hammerin'.

Updated change log: http://wiki.midnight-watch.com/doku.php?id=change_log

With regards to private sections, I'm wary of them. It makes a little more sense for a group like the undead, but for example, there is no criminal "faction". There are people who follow the law all the time, people who follow it some of the time, and people who never follow it.

The days of all criminals reporting to the same leader and sharing the same information are gone, so it makes little sense for there to be a private criminal board.  I would rather that any factions that arise make use of the existing in game methods of sharing information. Leaving books in private locations etc is a bit more exciting than a private board, and is interesting because these secret stashes can then be compromised.

Just my 2c.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not totally shooting the idea down - a private board is certainly more appropriate for the undead than the criminals. I'll have a word with Kraven, see what he thinks about a board for the undead.

#81 2013-07-22 15:22:14

Althalus Khalorson

cheers for the change log big_smile

no I completely understand what your saying about the private boards and I like the idea about ic stashes I was thinking more of organising undead raids etc anyway just trying to make sure I didn't leave anyone out big_smile

#82 2013-07-22 16:37:18

Althalus Khalorson

your going to get fed up of my posts soon lol, any chance arms lore can increase success chance? at gm smithing success on platemail tunic is 50.0% exceptional is 5.0%, at gm tailor studded tunic is  success 62.0% exceptional 17.0%

I know you guys want to keep the emphasis off gm/exceptional but at these rates you need to gm just to have a chance of creating the item at anything like a reasonable cost if you want to charge other players for just standard item and exceptional plate is for showing off what you can do nothing more, I have literally burned through over 2k ingots trying to make an exceptional plate tunic and that's recycling the non exceptional to get more tries never mind trying to sell all of them!

Also though not -quite- as bad you burn through a lot on the studded tunics and since arms lore works to tell you the condition of items it makes sense IC that the more you know about arms and armour the better quality you can make them

Last edited by Althalus Khalorson (2013-07-22 16:39:14)

#83 2013-07-22 17:05:34

Haap

Althalus Khalorson wrote:

your going to get fed up of my posts soon lol, any chance arms lore can increase success chance? at gm smithing success on platemail tunic is 50.0% exceptional is 5.0%, at gm tailor studded tunic is  success 62.0% exceptional 17.0%

I know you guys want to keep the emphasis off gm/exceptional but at these rates you need to gm just to have a chance of creating the item at anything like a reasonable cost if you want to charge other players for just standard item and exceptional plate is for showing off what you can do nothing more, I have literally burned through over 2k ingots trying to make an exceptional plate tunic and that's recycling the non exceptional to get more tries never mind trying to sell all of them!

Also though not -quite- as bad you burn through a lot on the studded tunics and since arms lore works to tell you the condition of items it makes sense IC that the more you know about arms and armour the better quality you can make them

I already posted about this further up, but yea, I totally agree with Althy here, sure some items should be harder to craft exceptionally then others, but when you've been a smith/tailor/fletcher or what have you for half your life(uo life) and youre an accomplished crafter, you shouldn't fail quite so much. Can throw an example in here aswell, I was gonna craft a repeater crossbow for someone and ended up using nearly 1k wood just to get that one exceptional repeater crossbow (gm skill) so I should have charged like an obscene amount of gold for it to just break even.

#84 2013-07-22 23:00:44

Linaeus
Administrator

Exceptional objects and people should -be- the exception, not the rule.

#85 2013-07-23 01:16:49

Althalus Khalorson

I appreciate what your point is but there is a difference between an exception and an extreme, 5.0% is extreme and there is no way to justify the price difference I'm not saying gm should be able to make exceptional all the time but an extra 1% on success chance per 10 arms lore say would take it from stupid to expensive but worth it, it would still leave the exceptional on a plate tunic as a difficult but actually achievable 15.0% and studded tunic would become 27.0% just make it that bit more in line with the amount someone might be willing to pay for a relativity small increase in defence/offence over a non exceptional

just to highlight this when I mention I used over 2k ingots trying to make one I didn't stop because I succeeded I stopped cos I ran out of ingots I didn't actually make the item, I can make the rest of the plate suit for about 500 ish ingots give or take for none exceptional and retrying but to use four times as much as the entire rest of the suit and -still- not succeed is a little too much for me to swallow and if I include failure and retry costs a lot of my armour actually prices up as costing about 1/2 to 1/10 of a gold per ingot used when averaged out over the range and people still want lower prices, I trade resources at a loss and to make a single set of plate arms can mean more than half an hours work mining and crafting combined to sell it for the same as a baker can sell a cake or an alchemist a single bottle of potion.

I know you want everyone to not be running around in exceptional gear but if I want to sell things that's what people want if I say that due to resource cost they get the first that succeeds in crafting exceptional or not then the player goes to a smith that will make them exceptional so the choice is hours of game play resource gathering for little return which is no fun for anyone cos they are all spread out gathering resources instead of interacting or no one comes for your services unless they don't have another choice which basically makes having the skill at all pointless unless your the only crafter left of that type.

now for me personally I have been putting in a lot of hours recently so I can be around to RP and gather resources to keep my prices low so far but it seems a little harsh on people that play less frequently to not be able to compete with me just because they don't have that much time and when they are on they want to enjoy some RP not just resource gather for 2 hours to fill a single order or slog away to get enough gold for some armour that's so damn expensive compared to loot drops you might as well just sell your soul to the undead just so they can enjoy a good dungeon bust with a group without dying every five minutes.

Last edited by Althalus Khalorson (2013-07-23 01:48:33)

#86 2013-07-23 12:14:57

Haap

I agree with Althy's point here. Yes, exceptional should be difficult, specially on certain things like a plate tunic or an advanced piece of weaponry, but theres a difference between difficult and ridiculous.

#87 2013-07-23 13:42:18

Jarvis Miller

I think we have to look upon this as a double edged sword. Yes, it is irritating that the exceptional chance is so low - it took me literally twenty attempts to make an exceptional platemail gorget for Gael and that was at GM. I think the success chance should be raised a little, but on the other hand that does mean that people who've worked hard to become GM do get something for it, and people with lower skill levels can't just suddenly produce exceptional gear just as easily.

#88 2013-07-23 13:46:40

Haap

Im sure its possible to code it so when you hit gm, you get a boost of say ...10% extra exc chance.

#89 2013-07-23 17:25:11

Althalus Khalorson

this is why I say just a 1% increase for chance for every 10 lore, the base crafting requirement doesn't change before you can actually make the item so a newbie would still have to work at it and its an extra skill to fit in so you limit uber chars for example to fit lore on althy I have had to give up gm and lock at 75 peace, animal lore, animal taming and vet. I'd just like to see a slight increase in chance and rather than redoing all of the chances in the actually crafting menu's for all the blacksmithing tailoring bowcraft and carpentry weapons and armour I thought this way would be easier and fairer

#90 2013-07-23 20:00:30

Egbert
S'a hammerin'.

Aye, something like 1% for every 10 arms lore certainly sounds reasonable! I'll see what I can do.

#91 2013-07-23 20:20:28

Linaeus
Administrator

I really don't see the problem with it being difficult to craft an exceptional piece of what is already the most protective item in the game.

#92 2013-08-10 17:29:48

Althalus Khalorson

okay I'm back again smile loving the whole feel of the shard as it bulks out and whilst I appreciate the desire to promote interaction and group play I think it might have gone a little far now as there is practically nowhere to go solo and the reality is we still have quite a low population so are often in the position where often there is not many people online, quite a few have stated that they login check the [whosonline and log off if no one is around. they may be inclined to stay online more if there was something worthwhile to do.

This would also mean the next to log in sees their are people online so would be more inclined to stay in game too.

another side effect of this is there is no where safe for new chars to go to get up to speed so if they cant train up and no one is ever online for them to group with to train why should they stay?

It might be time to expand our fish bowl a bit and move some of the harder spawn further out and possibly a solo dungeon of some depth as well as a more comprehensive group dungeon, maybe even just stick destard or despise or something in how they were pre AoS and open up so we can get there?

#93 2013-08-10 17:54:27

Althalus Khalorson

p.s. whilst i can solo some of the harder spawn as im sure several others can with more trained chars i do need pots to be able to deal with the mages that seem to be everywhere these days and giant serpents etc and since regs are hard to come by i cant gather enough to either trade for the ones to use hunting nor for the ones to grow the plants needed to breed for the few useful ones never mind both especially since most of our alchemists still have relatively low success chance on the greater's due to low regs for training so even if i gather silly amounts of regs i can burn up the potions i can trade for them a lot quicker than i can gather them and plants require greater so i have no option but to use those.

the net result is a lot of hours in game to gather the resources to be able to take out the larger foes and no practical way to gather those resources that isnt mind bogglingly boring especially for newer chars trying to get to a level to consider the harder resource gathering methods

just think we need a little more variety of spawn/areas to hunt difficulty along with a bit more loot not necessarily gold but useful items such as resources and armour.

More armour loot would allow people to use that rather than having to buy it every five min because it basically isn't worth repairing due to drastic loss in durability. i basically just scrap and remake mine every time but not everyone has that luxury so loot armour gives them something to wear whilst general hunting/training  so they can save the decent stuff for events and such.

And i still think a proper bankbox with about 12 item/pile limit in it would be a good idea as that is the first thing most new tenants at the inn ask, "I need a box" so to have a little bit of storage as soon as the char is created just allows them that little bit of leeway to keep playing until they can get somewhere sorted at the very least and they don't have to risk things like house keys going somewhere dangerous as they will be able to store them securely without which they either risk them or have to leave the keys somewhere unsecured

#94 2013-08-10 19:55:02

Haap

Aye, I think most of use would enjoy having a banker npc who managed a totally secure bank box for us (with very limited storage)

#95 2013-08-10 19:57:05

Haap

Could just make gold stack at a maximum of 1k per pile(generally), and give the bank a weight limit total, and have it store maximum of 10-15 items...

#96 2013-08-10 21:37:30

Craystor Rake

I personally totally disagree, people should have the fear their items can be stolen, if it does, roleplay along with it, make a fuss, find the militia, maybe start a witch hunt. If you have full security of the things you love whats the point? Takes away all the fear of loosing everything.

My house in game was left abandoned for a week whilst I am holiday in denmark/working, and someone has gone in, nicked loads of good stuff/cash etc, what did I do? I started a man hunt for the culprits my character expected it to be based on evidence and asking around in town.

If people need a bank box in game or somewhere "secure" they need to be able to pay for it, make friends with people or rent a place whwre they can, if the stuff they have get stolen? tough luck, go to the militia, write a report, complain, start a fuss, but do so in game.

#97 2013-08-10 22:45:17

Linaeus
Administrator

I also disagree with the notion of armor dropping on monsters. The entire point of removing that was to force people to actually do business with the local craftsmen, and to maintain a high level of demand for quality equipment. The big problem on Europa was that everyone could just repair their armor repeatedly, and it'd last them -years- unless they got wiped in Karnaugh or something, and even then there was insurance as a parachute.

A big theme of this shard is meant to be desperation. Resources should be scarce, people should be forced to make hard decisions about how to spend them. That means that not only does someone passing things out for free because they've macro'd up 10,000 of it harm the integrity of the setting, it discourages other people from running their own businesses in a realistic and RP-intensive way. This is the main reason that I created characters like Samuel Baker and Mary Carleton - to control the quantity of goods in the system, and force people to continue buying things.

This is also the reason I'm opposed to secure storage. With the ability to trap chests that are locked down, the need for GM Lockpicking to get through a locked door (at a loss rate of 9 picks per door), and the ability to make and place decoys and mines, I see no reason to provide a 100% secure storage system.

#98 2013-08-10 23:42:54

Rotip

Considering some people don't have 7 locks to pick to get at a chest (keres and your fucking SECOND TOWN), and I literally got robbed for being away from my players house for 30 minutes when my character had shit for gold in the first place, I this a bank storage system is a good idea. at least let us store some gold considering I got robbed and I'm not a freaking crafter my character doesn't make money back easily so once it's gone it's gone and there are others like that who make gold on rare occasions and otherwise have to save theirs who are basically part of the driving economy you take away buyers the sellers have no rp. Not asking for repairable armor which was part of your point asking for means to keep the economy actually working. I take that back i have 54 tinkering I can make pick axes but everyone and their mother has tinkering now.

#99 2013-08-11 00:06:29

Haap

Having no total secure storage option is fine if you play alot and constantly get the means to replenish your stocks, but it does hurt the poor sod who can manage to get 2 maybe 5 hours a week to play and then only to notice his poor crate has been picked clean because he had to work irl. Im not saying you should make great big boxes of storitall banks, just a place to store enough to not having to start from scratch every week.

#100 2013-08-11 00:07:08

Linaeus
Administrator

I've actually had two people complain to me in the past day that they couldn't find a tinker.

I didn't rob you, so that wasn't part of any sort of nefarious gold culling scheme. That was just someone being a bad person IC.

As for non-crafters not being able to make money; Have You Tried? Think outside the box. What skills do you have that people might pay you for? Offer your services as a bodyguard, or pressure the militia to actually pay you. Go gather a ton of hides and return them. Take up a life of crime, raging against the world that's clearly mistreating you. Sell your silver weapon to someone for a huge sum - silver is exceedingly rare in this setting. Take up fishing. Form a Hunters' Guild or something.

The possibilities are endless, you're just too focused ont he obvious. tongue

Board footer