The Midnight Watch

Holding on 'til the next shift.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

S'a hammerin'.

#51 2013-07-20 10:55:29

Haap

Re: Feature Requests

Just like Ive already told Hoagie. Bola Balls. Make em work something like paralyze special move. We need a "constant running away" stopper. Ofcourse they should have a cooldown timer so it doesn't get silly.

#52 2013-07-20 11:07:57

Egbert
S'a hammerin'.

True dat. I'll add it to the todo list!

#53 2013-07-20 12:23:47

Haap

When you've GMed your crafting skill you should get a boost to exceptional crafting chance. When you've created 100s of plate arms or repeating crossbows or what have you, you shouldn't only have a 20ish % chance at exceptional. You should be making them much more reliably at a superb quality, youre a grandmaster(crafter) afterall.

#54 2013-07-20 13:50:20

Althalus Khalorson

@Linaeus

I covered both those points with

Althalus Khalorson wrote:

obviously they would have to conform to certain limits in keeping with the scenario like all wood walls or 90% cos of stone being rear and so forth and a gm would probably be needed to place the plot and then transfer it over to stop houses going up anywhere and everywhere

and with the recent spate of crime offering people something more secure is, I believe, going to be essential to keep players.

Both myself and I'm sure Jarvis would get raided within days if not sooner if people could get through the house doors and not everyone is that lucky, bank boxes can be picked, people living out in the tents can be picked, how many times should someone loose everything they have worked hard for before they give up?

#55 2013-07-20 15:38:38

Jarvis Miller

I sort of sympathise with the sentiment that everyone wants a house, but it's going to get pretty crowded - also a GM has to sit there and make them all, not very fun for them. That's why part of the new factory I'm building is going to be turned over to storage space and small workshops inside for those who can't afford it, which will be guarded by characters IC as well as locks.

If we were going to make housing more widely accessible, I'd actually go back to the system UO had before AoS where you just got a deed for a generic building which you couldn't customise. That'd be very easy to control, and it'd give people easy goals (i.e. small house, bigger house, castle.. etc)

EDIT: Here is the full list of pre-builds http://www.uoguide.com/Houses

Houseprices.png

Add a resource cost and maybe take a 1/2 to a 1/3 off the gold prices, and that'd be fairly servicable.

Last edited by Jarvis Miller (2013-07-20 15:58:30)

#56 2013-07-20 16:44:14

Haap

Im sure they could make a small prebuilt lumber cot buyable as a deed and placed where theres room, size 7x7, 3x containers etc. And that's how people start their house dream, if they want something bigger id say they should have to go through the gms, just my 2 scents.

#57 2013-07-20 17:05:22

Haap

Healing skill at 90 something and a hit at 1 or 5 or such hp makes my fingers slip:(

Make fingers slip harder to happen as your healing skill increases please.

Right now it favors the fast weapons alot, because it makes fingers slip on every hit.

Last edited by Haap (2013-07-20 19:39:05)

#58 2013-07-20 17:12:31

Althalus Khalorson

I agree with the pre aos builds restricting stupid designs and think that would be a good idea, not sure about custom builds like what you want for the workspace or i would like for the inn but id be willing to compromise for something that works, as for storage/workspace I've been trying to get the inn expanded as all the bunks(4) are now full each one with a locked box behind a locked door to the guest room since about a week and a half before the elections, the GM's simply don't have time and as you say not much fun for them so how long before your workspaces are built? how many people loosing stuff  to thieves and thus leaving the shard? maybe I'm being over paranoid but there is a reason why uo put skills in like pickpocket etc but gave people a secure bank, and later houses. No-one likes to work really hard for something just for someone else to spend five seconds stealing it and origin wisely provided opportunity for those that would like to play that way and security for those that don't.

if you just give for example Issac a house placement tool, you go and purchase a plot from him, he comes looks over the land, if he agrees with the spot he places it and transfers so IC you have bought a plot of land then you can build it IC as you get the money in instead of *poof* it magically appears one night

i think maybe we need an irc chat arranged or something so everyone can talk about these things and share opinions and concerns

also instead of having loads of empty buildings around if they were all plots then would be a lot easier to see where you can actually move in and who owns what instead of the current confusion.

Last edited by Althalus Khalorson (2013-07-20 17:15:52)

#59 2013-07-20 19:14:44

Haap

Yea, one thing EA/OSI did wrong was not balance the theft vs secure items. Yes some items should be secure from theft because some things you work really hard for over a long period of time, would suck hard to loose stuff you've spent 2 weeks collecting in just 5 minutes. Some people don't want to handle that. But as I said the balance must be kept, what is stealable/pickable and therefor subject to theft and what is not? I for one would like to see a balance, not favourable to just one of the sides.

#60 2013-07-20 20:42:00

Delfer

Can't we just apply the honor system to theft? I'm under the impression you shouldn't be taking anything more than what you can RP walking away without arousing suspicion. If anyone is dry looting or stealing stacks of ingots/wood/leather than they shouldn't be on our shard. I assume GM's would have a way of detecting the person and telling them to stop if it happened, and then returning the resources. But secure storage is such a lame solution that people will use to store everything valuable in and their other storage will be empty.

#61 2013-07-20 23:42:03

Haap

I agree with Delfer, secure storage can be quite...destructive both for economy and....makes people lazy in certain aspects. Valuables and wealth should feel fleeting and risky, but at the same time its not desired(imo) that someone can come and wash away 2 weeks of hard labour in the woods/mines etc. At the time I cant think of anything that would balance this well.

#62 2013-07-20 23:56:26

Althalus Khalorson

a safe, secure storage for say ten items so a pile gold ingots logs boards or whatever your char collects, regs and bottles for alchemists for example then the rest you just take the risk I guess

p.s.

this way you can secure your primary resources but if you choose to make extras i.e. shop stock then its your risk

one per char, otherwise someone with say an alchemist and a miner wouldn't be able to store all of the regs and ingots safely

P.P.S.

I'd love to believe in the honour system but I'm often around and it says I'm the only one on-line so I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been, if no gm's on-line how do you know who just walked out with 3k bandages? or all your gold? far more than they could carry IC.

I'm not saying I think people would purposefully be nasty but some people don't know where the line is and some have different opinions where the line is, far better to avoid arguments by simply making it clear and un-breakable. You could set rules like the looting rules from europa rp guilds when inter guild fighting but what's to stop them coming back every night? people cant stay awake all night guarding their gear so sensible looting rules such as no more than 1 suit of armour so they cant take 15 which would be unrealistic say max 100 bandages due to amount to carry as well set amount of gold ingots boards leather and so on and no revisiting the same property in say the same week would go a long ways but I think there is still a need for some secure storage.

Last edited by Althalus Khalorson (2013-07-21 00:23:32)

#63 2013-07-21 01:37:14

Haap

a safe, secure storage for say ten items so a pile gold ingots logs boards or whatever your char collects, regs and bottles for alchemists for example then the rest you just take the risk I guess

.........I think there is still a need for some secure storage.

I concur with these statements, ideas...and to add something to it, you can make items max stack amount a lot less then 60k, say 5k are maximum stacksize for logs,ingots,regs and bottles and such. And maybe 1k max stacksize for gold. That way you cant have room for obscene amounts of resources/gold in the secure bank, just enough to get back on your feet if your estate is robbed blank.
Im all for realism etc, and pickable chests and homes etc, but it shouldn't get to a point where it gets tedious...say loosing all your ingots/logs that you just spent 2 hours a day for 5 days gathering. That would create a tedious, boring and repetitive action and people would loose interest sooner or later to keep replenishing stolen goods too often.

This "system" would make the very rich and greedy people the real victims, as it should be, the average joe's wouldn't get AS victimized, wich imo is a good thing.

Last edited by Haap (2013-07-21 01:47:41)

#64 2013-07-21 04:13:03

Linaeus
Administrator

As far as I know, the only person currently capable of breaking a lockbox is Mary Carleton, and no one is currently capable of picking a locked door. We recently made doing so require GM Lockpicking, but if someone would prefer that they be completely unpickable I see no issue with it. We could also change the Bank over to a proper one, but (as you suggest) cut the capacity of the box down by a lot. Make it more like a safe deposit box.

Beyond that, my only advice is to play it how you'd really play it. Don't get angry OOC if your stuff gets nabbed - get angry IC. Remember that you're free to enforce the IC consequences of IC actions. If someone steals from you and you know it, and the guards are either A) Not doing anything about it, B) Not doing enough about it, or C) Actively assisting in it, then you should behave accordingly.

The bottom line is that I'm loathe to make anything 100% safe.

#65 2013-07-21 12:21:55

Craystor Rake

Just my 2 cents.

Me and Derek just stole from the Kere's 1000 gold, from that there has sparked a lot of roleplay, including betrayal (Looks at Derek...) and friends becoming enemies, enemies becoming friends etc due to that little robbery. If you have been robbed, come to the militia/Mayor and say something, we can create some roleplay out of it easily, do investigations, narrow down the hunt, even find false culprits and string them up if it goes that far, or by some insane lucky fluke actually find the real culprit and get your stuff returned! The possibilities are endless really.

As Lin says, sort it icly, dont be angry ooc that you been robbed.

Last edited by Craystor Rake (2013-07-21 12:22:30)

#66 2013-07-21 12:25:33

Egbert
S'a hammerin'.

I wouldn't be opposed to LIMITED safe storage if people really want it, but I'm inclined to echo Rake and Lineaus. If thieves start getting their hands chopped off when they nick something, they're going to stop nicking everything that's nailed down.

#67 2013-07-21 12:29:13

Haap

Neutral. There should be definite risk to having lots of stuff. But i also think a safe limited storage( safe deposit box ) wouldnt be totally unreasonable.

#68 2013-07-21 13:07:00

Althalus Khalorson

I think limited safe storage is a good thing, as Craystor says, he and Derek just walked off with 1000 gold, just stop and think of the weight of gold and size of a coin then think how much 1000 of them would weight ....... as I said previously some rules for stealing from other people setting a limit to what you can steal ic due to the weight, size, bulk of items would be good but secure storage helps keep it ic and avoid the hard feelings of being screwed over for an unrealistic amount ooc

say 50 - 100 gold is approximately a gold bar and the average person would struggle to lift 2 or 3 gold bars IRL I don't think its unreasonable to say a limit of 1 or 2 hundred gold max each thief can take from each person same with ingots, boards, logs, leather i think realistic IC limits to what you can take would both help stop people feeling completely smegged due to loosing everything and stop thieves from just stealing everything they want at everyone else's expense.

personally I  would never take more than 100 gold and never take so much as to leave a char with less than 100 so if they have 50 I would pass them over if they have 150 I would take 50 if they have 200 or more I would take 100 but that's my choice as a nice person to keep the stealing IC with the 100 limit and also not take the last little bit someone has so that they cant get back on their feet

Last edited by Althalus Khalorson (2013-07-21 13:25:52)

#69 2013-07-21 13:31:52

Althalus Khalorson

additionally what if someone gets robbed and due to RL commitments or issues cant get on for a few days so doesn't know their stuff is open? meanwhile everyone who walks by and realises that there units are open takes a bit each so when the person does come back they find their box dry? safe storage at leasts means they have some items to keep going with rather than being completely disheartened and saying smeg it to the entire shard.

#70 2013-07-21 17:25:13

Delfer

On the topic of storage, I think houses should get a lot more containers. Putting everything in one chest doesn't make any sense. A house should at least have a dresser for clothes, crates for tools and a smaller box for small valuables. It would also help to slow down thieves if they had to prioritize which box they pick(assuming anyone else is online of course)

#71 2013-07-21 17:34:41

Egbert
S'a hammerin'.

That's between you and your local carpenter. smile

Feel free to pester any available GMs to lock this stuff down for you.

#72 2013-07-21 17:36:44

Haap

Egbert wrote:

Feel free to pester any available GMs to lock this stuff down for you.

Funny, I was just about to do that..:D

#73 2013-07-21 22:25:37

Linaeus
Administrator

I think limited safe storage is a good thing, as Craystor says, he and Derek just walked off with 1000 gold, just stop and think of the weight of gold and size of a coin then think how much 1000 of them would weight ....... as I said previously some rules for stealing from other people setting a limit to what you can steal ic due to the weight, size, bulk of items would be good but secure storage helps keep it ic and avoid the hard feelings of being screwed over for an unrealistic amount ooc

say 50 - 100 gold is approximately a gold bar and the average person would struggle to lift 2 or 3 gold bars IRL I don't think its unreasonable to say a limit of 1 or 2 hundred gold max each thief can take from each person same with ingots, boards, logs, leather i think realistic IC limits to what you can take would both help stop people feeling completely smegged due to loosing everything and stop thieves from just stealing everything they want at everyone else's expense.

personally I  would never take more than 100 gold and never take so much as to leave a char with less than 100 so if they have 50 I would pass them over if they have 150 I would take 50 if they have 200 or more I would take 100 but that's my choice as a nice person to keep the stealing IC with the 100 limit and also not take the last little bit someone has so that they cant get back on their feet

See, the issue here is that the value of gold doesn't really pair up well to what it'd realistically weigh. I'm not going to steal something if stealing it won't matter - neither to myself, nor the person being stolen from - because it's chump change that just happens to be all I can realistically carry. This has always been one place where suspension of disbelief comes in. Most people carry stuff around in their packs that they could never carry. No one could carry dozens of ingots worth of ore on a long hike back from the mountains, but it happens and no one blinks.

If you really need to reason through it, say that the coins come in different denominations. That there's, say, a 100 Crown coin, and that if someone is walking around with 2,000 gold in their pocket then they must have several of those.

#74 2013-07-22 03:36:57

Althalus Khalorson

could throwing daggers be made stackable? maybe also put in the belt that would normally be used for throwing stars and make that accept throwing daggers also?

#75 2013-07-22 08:15:22

Egbert
S'a hammerin'.

I'd rather not make them stackable, or people might carry around loads. I do like the idea of including the old ninja belt though, I'll have a look at doing that!

Board footer